About Me

My photo
Welcome to the world of a mum of 4,a wife to one and a friend to many. Join me on this rollercoaster I call life.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Safety in the Home.

As we enter the dreaded Melbourne winter our heating appliances become our best friends. With this in mind and the death of two young boys in Victoria due to accidental monoxide poisoning, I decided to post some helpful hints on keeping the home safe in the hope that these two deaths weren't in vain.
  Please read for your families well being:

To play it safe around your home, just remember these top ten rules for using natural gas the right way.
 1. DO remember that a natural gas leak smells like rotten eggs.
If a really bad smell happens all of a sudden, get out of the house right away and find a grown-up.
2. DO ask your mom or dad to install a carbon monoxide detector.
It works like a smoke detector to keep your family safe.
3. DON'T hang on pipes in the basement or jump on the meter outside.
The pipes might come loose, letting the gas escape. And remind grown-ups to keep the outside meter clear in case of an emergency.
4. DO help the grown-ups in your house keep little kids away from gas appliances.
You can help them put safety covers on the knobs.
5. DO be very careful using a gas stove.
Roll up your sleeves, keep towels and hot pads away from the flame, and make sure a grown-up is around to help.
6. DO remind grown-ups to call before they dig.
If you’re helping someone dig a hole, it’s very important to have underground utility lines marked before you start.
7. DON'T ever try to use a gas appliance to keep warm.
Using a gas appliance the wrong way can cause deadly carbon monoxide. If the power goes out, bundle up in layers of clothes instead.
8. DON’T pile up boxes, paints or anything else around a gas appliance.
Boxes, paint and other chemicals are a fire hazard, and appliances need oxygen to run properly, just like people need air to breathe.
9. DO remind grown-ups to have appliances inspected every year.
This is the best way to keep your family safe.
10. DON’T play around or try to move a gas appliance.
The piping or connector that feeds gas to the appliance might get damaged or come loose.

Again my heart goes out to the families of the two little boys who died earlier last week. May we be more vigilant and aware during the winter season.

A quote posted by the boys mum:
"And know that you are with the angels right now, causing mischief like you always do."
I am grateful for the information available for my family and I.


1 comment:

  1. It is such a sad story for that family. It made me hug my kids just a little bit tighter. Thanks for sharing the info.